Friday, February 3, 2012

Classes and Adorable Schoolchildren

Jambo rafiki,

All is well here in Tanzania. Its 9:45pm and im getting ready to go to bed. My schedule is so different here than it is at school, normally I would go to bed at 1am and wake up at 9:30am, now I go to bed at 10pm and wake up at 6:30am. I have no problem waking up though, surprisingly, as the birds are very active in the early morning and the roosters crow incessantly.

Today we had lots of class, 5 hours of it. The most we've had so far. We had wildlife management where we basically learned methods to collect data in the field and count animals, estimating population densities and other trends in wildlife from observations alone. We practiced estimating distances and then checking them with a rangefinder; I can now put on job applications that I am a skilled estimator of distances between 10 and 50 meters. Nice. We also had our economic and policy class today with a very heated discussion on how we should balance the interests and basic needs of local communities with the goals of conservation efforts to conserve wildlife. It's a really tough issue to address; as humans we have every right to focus on the short term and address the needs of the people and communities here so that they have access to basic necessities like food, water, shelter, etc. That being said, we as conservationists look in the long term and recognize the need to find sustainable ways to keep ecosystems healthy for years to come, which ultimately helps the communities as well if they have access to the resources or are the ones managing the resources. Its just difficult, putting yourself in the shoes of a family that lives here, what is going to be more important? Providing food for your family for the week, or protecting elephants and lions that eat your crops and cattle in the name of conservation? We are working to try to develop a way to encourage the communities here to invest in conservation efforts and invest in the wildlife and resources so that although they are the ones that pay the price for conservation, they are also those that receive the benefits. But, we have to avoid forcing ourselves upon them and into their lives, informing them what to do, or telling them what they are doing is "wrong" or whatever else. That is not how we want to interact with the community and that isn't how we want to work towards sustainability. Undoubtedly it was people coming in and displacing them from their land(ahem the Berlin Conference. if you don't know what it is I suggest you look it up), disrupting their traditional management and tenure systems, and imposing the western way of life onto these various cultures that initially sparked a lot of the issues we are dealing with today. Instead we hope to be sort of mediators, and help to further community conservation efforts where locals, who know the most about the areas, can lead the way towards conservation.

After class I went for a walk with two friends to practice using our binoculars on moving targets. Well, that was the goal we set out with...but that didn't happen. At all. Instead, as we walked towards the school yard, mobs of little adorable children came bounding towards us, all smiles and open arms. We were bombarded with greetings and it was a bit overwhelming to be honest. They were all absolutely adorable and so sincere and warm, but the sheer number of them was intimidating! Three of us and about 50 children! They pushed to be the one who got to hold our hand, give us hugs, and look through our cameras and binoculars. So many little faces staring up at me, unable to communicate more than hello's and names. Little Martha kept wanting me to pick her up, but I unfortunately couldn't hold her, hold hands with 10 others, and hang on to my binoculars at the same time! If they couldn't hold my hand they would hold my arm, and some even started rubbing my skin, giggling at the freckles and white hair. Some even began to smell my arm, which was strange, but then I realized I had just put on sunscreen that probably smelled really floral. It was still a strange experience though, although they were clearly just curious. After 45 minutes of being swarmed with adorable we said "kwa heri rafiki!" (goodbye friend!) and pushed our way out of the group, some of them following us and holding our hands all the way back to the gate of our camp. Ive never experienced anything like that before, ever, but although overwhelming they all meant no harm and were so darn cute.

Later I went for a "run" with some other friends, and I put run in quotations because it was hardly that. One mile loop on a dirt path around the outside of the camp, and I was pretty much dying. The elevation was really affecting my body. Difficulty breathing and muscle cramps as if I had already run 6 miles! Its definitely something ill have to work up to, some people are already going 5 laps and inviting me along, no way!

After dinner we played a game around the campfire, I feel like i'm at sleep-a-way camp for college students haha.
Oh the only other thing I can note is that I think I am either allergic to something here or have a sun rash? Its only on my forearms and itches mildly, but i'm waiting for it to go away it looks so strange and spotty. Ick. But if thats the worst of my medical issues I definitely cannot complain! 

oh also, we figured out that we actually have hot water in the bandas! there's a switch you turn on and it heats it!! Life's little pleasures, I no longer have the instinct to hold my breath when I shower.

Tomorrow we go to Lake Manyara National Park for our first field expedition. I AM SO EXCITED. Ill report on what its like in the next blog post!

-Natalie









No comments:

Post a Comment