Tuesday, January 24, 2012

First Blog Post!

Welcome to my first blog post!
I decided to start a blog this semester to record my experiences while abroad in Tanzania and Kenya. This is my first time writing about my life for others to read and hopefully i'll improve/get more interesting and clever with time. But no promises... keep in mind I'm no english major. If I could have my friend Julia Z. write this for me I totally would; her wit and superb use of puns would surely provide endless entertainment. But alas, that isn't a realistic option.
To set the mood, click this youtube link and listen to one of my favorite songs, which I named this blog after. Its called Warm Heart of Africa by The Very Best
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J47JCDAPLs4

I'll start by explaining what I will be up to this semester. I am participating in a study abroad program through the School for Field Studies focused on wildlife management and community development in east africa, spending half my time in Tanzania and the other half in Kenya. Choosing to study abroad here was a relatively easy decision. I wanted an experience that was academically focused on my majors, would provide research and field-work experience, and one where I would get to interact with cultures that are totally different from anything I have ever known or experienced. When I read about this program I couldn't contain my excitement and knew I had to apply. I got the call informing me I was accepted after class last semester whilst standing at the top of Bascom Hill.  In elation(too wordy?), I performed a pretty extensive happy dance in front of all the students walking to class.  And now here I am, headed across the world in a mere 4 days.

Its both alarming and entertaining to hear how many people say something along the lines of "oh! thats so cool you decided to go to africa! I hear that country is beautiful." when I tell them my plans. So, perhaps we should start by clarifying, Africa is not a country. It is the diverse and beautiful continent where humans began their existence. Ill actually be near Olduvai Gorge, otherwise known as "the Cradle of Mankind." Throughout the countries are thousands of unique cultures and languages. I will get to learn a lot about the Maasai people, a semi-nomadic ethnic group in east africa. I will also be taking a class to learn some Swahili, or Kiswahili as it is referred to in the language itself, and have actually already tried to learn some of the basics.
Wanna see?
Jambo - Hello
Habari gani? - How are you?
Mzuri - Good
Asante - Thank you
Jina langu ni... - My name is ...
Kwa Heri - Goodbye
okay you get the idea. pretty cool stuff.

In addition to trying to learn some basics I've been doing a lot of preparation for the trip, and theres a lot to do. Beyond the standard passport, visa, packing clothes agenda, I have to bring camping supplies, all my toiletries, textbooks, supplies to wash my clothes by hand, and enough sun screen and bug spray to cover my entire body at all times basically. And let us not forget the delightful process of immunizations. Shots on shots on shots to protect my pale little western body from rabies, hepatitis, typhoid fever, yellow fever, malaria, you get the picture. The malaria medication is going to be especially rough; I have to take a pill every day I'm there which will make me even more sensitive to the sun (yay!) so I'm gonna have to wear long sleeves and pants to avoid direct sun exposure. S'all good though, I think my body should  become acclimated to the temperatures within a few weeks, which can get up to the 90's. Plus I got to go shopping at savers (my favorite) for some practical, modest clothes which was really fun. Im actually so pumped to not have to worry at all about how I look while I'm over there. Im already going to stand out being super pale and all, so I don't really want to draw any more attention to myself than will come naturally. Oh also I just cut all my hair off. Its a 'pixie cut' I believe. Its sort of like a peter pan hair cut, or Justin Beiber even, but way more awesome cause its on me...no but seriously I love it, it will be so easy to manage  while I'm there.

A lot of people have questions about safety while i'm over there, and I can assure you as much as possible (given the unknowns of any travel adventure) that I should be very safe! The SFS is so great about making sure we are in contact with the right people and are always looked after. We will travel in groups and will be in more rural areas, which are generally way safer than large, urbanized areas. Im taking all the precautions I can to avoid getting sick while I'm over there, but I'm also preparing myself mentally for the possibility and almost certainty of not being comfortable at all times while I am there. But, I find that a welcome challenge to see how I can cope with situations that are way out of my comfort zone. I think it will really help me grow as a person.

Okay wow sorry this is so long. But i'll part with saying I leave on saturday, and am working on packing everything now. I have about 2 days of traveling, going from Chicago to New York to London to Nairobi to Aarusha, Tanzania. Its so hard to fit everything in two bags and then have to get it under the weight limit! ah!

Will post again once I actually have interesting new things to report on!

Kwa heri!
Natalie



1 comment:

  1. Jambo to you, dear Natalie,

    Your blog is not too wordy :D ~ in fact we loved every word of it.

    Asante for sharing it with us.

    Best wishes and blessings on your adventure.

    Uncle Jim and Aunt Joanne Baier

    ReplyDelete